Jim ponders what might have been...

Padraig Amond netted the equaliser for Morecambe
Padraig Amond netted the equaliser for Morecambe
Have your say

Morecambe 1 AFC Wimbledon 1

Morecambe remain unbeaten in 2015 after picking up a fifth successive draw.

Jim Bentley’s side were forced to come from a goal down to earn a point.

But the Shrimps boss was once again thinking what might have been after his side enjoyed the majority of the possession in the second half but failed to test the visiting keeper until the final stages of the game.

Wimbledon stared the game the sharper with Adebayo Akinfenwa volleying wide after just 30 seconds.

And it was not long before their attacking approach paid off with a 13th-minute goal from a well-worked short corner.

George Francomb sent over a fine cross after a lay-off from Sean Rigg and the ball was touched on for Jake Reeves to crack home his first Wimbledon goal.

After a slow start, Morecambe began to get on top and drew level three minutes before the break.

Laurence Wilson swung over a cross that was smartly headed home by Padraig Amond, who nipped in front of his marker to divert the ball past James Shea.

Morecambe grabbed the initiative after the break and forced Wimbledon to defend for a sustained spell.

It needed fine defending from Barry Fuller to stop Jack Redshaw getting on the end of a cross from Shaun Beeley.

And there were big claims for a penalty when Will Nightingale blocked mark Hughes’s close range header.

The Shrimps piled on the pressure and set up a frantic finale.

Amond volleyed over from the edge of the box and Fleming forced Shea into a neat save from a close range shot.

With time running out, Kevin Ellison looked to have won the game with a header from Fleming’s corner but somehow saw his effort cleared off the line as the Shrimps were denied victory.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Edwards, Hughes, Parrish, Beeley, Fleming, Goodall (Kenyon 72), Wilson, Devitt (Ellison 72), Redshaw (Mullin 79), Amond. Subs (not used): Jones, Sampson, Williams, McGowan.

Booked: Redshaw

AFC Wimbledon: Shea, Fuller, Nightingale, Oshilaja, Kennedy, Francomb, Bulman, Reeves, Rigg (Beere 77), Akinfenwa (Azeez 81), Tanner (Connolly 66). Subs (not used): McDonnell, Phillips, Harrison, Fitzpatrick.

Referee: P Miller

Attendance: 1,841

l Shrewsbury headed back to the top of League Two thanks to Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro’s late winner at Newport.

Akpa Akpro came off the bench to score with 13 minutes left in a 1-0 win, which saw County’s nine-match unbeaten run at home come to 
an end.

It sent the Shrews back to the top of the division as Wycombe were held to 
a 0-0 draw at home by Portsmouth.