Morecambe 1-2 Mansfield

Two goals in the final five minutes saw Mansfield come from behind to shock Morecambe at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 8:46 pm
Updated Monday, 15th February 2016, 11:10 am
Morecambe v Mansfield - Shrimps Live
Morecambe v Mansfield - Shrimps Live

Paul Mullin’s goal on 71 minutes had put The Shrimps in command and there was no sign of what was to come before it all fell apart for Jim Bentley’s side in the closing stages.

First Chris Clements bundled home an equaliser five minutes from time after Barry Roche had done well to save Adi Yussuf’s initial header.

Then as the game entered stoppage time the visitors made their way unchallenged into The Shrimps area with Lee Collins’ poke goalwards being saved before Yussuf put the ball into the empty net to stun the Globe Arena into silence.

It was a poor spectacle early on with Jamie McGuire’s volley that was deflected over the bar for the visitors and Kevin Ellison’s tame shot that was grasped at the second attempt by Scott Shearer the closest that either side came.

The first real opening of note came on 27 minutes but after Andy Fleming’s shot had rebounded into his path Krystian Pearce could only drag his shot narrowly wide from 18 yards. Mullin nearly created something out of nothing for The Shrimps 10 minutes before the interval, his turn and shot from 20 yards being beaten away by Shearer.

Adam Murray’s side were the first to go close after the break with Matt Green only able to find the side netting after driving at the Morecambe defence.

Former Preston striker Chris Beardsley then found plenty of space in the area but took too long to find his feet with Shaun Beeley on hand to block.

Bentley made his move on the hour with a triple change as The Shrimps reverted to a more familiar four at the back system.

It nearly paid immediate dividends with Fleming bringing a save from Shearer after the ball had broken his way on the edge of the area.

The Shrimps were building momentum and got their breakthrough 20 minutes from time from the penalty spot.

Devitt whipped in a cross from the right with Stags skipper Hunt pulling back Ellison as he went to head the ball home. Mullin stepped up and made no mistake, firing hard to Shearer’s left.

The hosts came close to a second on 75 minutes but Barkhuizen could only drag his shot wide when free in the area on his weaker left foot.

At the other end Mansfield pushed for an equaliser with the game still in the balance, Barry Roche holding onto Collins’ shot from a Clements corner 10 minutes from time.

The equaliser was to come on 85 minutes with Clements on target, the midfielder sliding in to score after Roche had got down well to his left to save Yussuf’s flicked header.

The sucker punch came in the 90th minute with Sean Kavanagh allowed a free run into the area before the ball found its way to Collins. His stabbed attempt was saved with Yussuf doing the rest as he converted into an unguarded net.

Morecambe: Roche, Edwards (Barkhuizen 59), Dugdale, Parrish, Beeley (capt), Kenyon (Goodall 59), Fleming, Wilson, Molyneux (Devitt 59), Mullin, Ellison. Subs not used: O’Hara, Miller, Doyle, Conlan.

Mansfield: Shearer, Hunt (capt), Pearce, Tafazolli, Collins, McGuire (Thomas 83), Clements, Blair (Kavanagh 83), Baxendale, Green, Beardsley (Yussuf 74). Subs not used: Jensen, Chapman, Westcarr, Lambe.

Attendance: 1,047 (77 away)

Referee: Nigel Miller