Memory Match: Leeds v Preston

Jon Parkin complete with the match ball after Preston's 6-4 win over Leeds at elland Road in 2010
Jon Parkin complete with the match ball after Preston's 6-4 win over Leeds at elland Road in 2010
Have your say

Preston North End’s victory against Leeds in their last visit to Elland Road five years ago was one of the most remarkable games of football witnessed in a long while.

From 1-0 up to 4-1 down to a 6-4 win, it was quite a night for the 1,000 Lilywhites fans who had travelled to Yorkshire.

Jon Parkin, nicknamed the Beast, had his best game in a PNE shirt, leading the victory charge with a hat-trick.

Keith Treacy, Callum Davidson and Iain Hume were also on the scoresheet on a crazy Tuesday evening in September 2010.

On the receiving end was current Preston boss Simon Grayson, who at the time was Leeds manager.

Grayson remembers it well and at the time, it was something of a football nightmare for him.

“It was just an unbelievable game in terms that Leeds were cruising and then 10 minutes before half-time we were suddenly all over the shop.

“Even at 4-1 up I could sense we were struggling.

“Preston got a goal just before half-time which gave them the impetus to start the second half brightly.

“Four more goals went in during the second half and it ended 6-4.

“As Preston manager now, I can say what a great result it was for the club.

“But being Leeds manager at the time, that particular night was not easy to take.

“Jon Parkin has probably never scored as many good goals as he did that night.

“He was very difficult to play against and gave us a tough old night.”

The ball was set rolling on this 10-goal thriller as early as the fifth minute.

Taking possession down the left-wing, Treacy cut inside and drilled a low shot goalwards which United keeper Shane Higgs fumbled.

The ball fell to Parkin who side-footed it over the line from close range.

A 24-minute spell then saw Leeds score four times to seemingly put the points in the bag.

Luciano Becchio headed the hosts level, before Alex Bruce put them in front after a mix-up between Davidson and Sean St ledger.

Davide Somma then netted twice and it looked like North End were down and out.

While Parkin’s second goal in the 42nd looked like being no more then a consolation, it was the start of a stunning fightback.

Paul Coutts slipped a pass behind the Leeds defence for Parkin to run through and slide a left-foot shot beyond the keeper.

Preston really showed they meant business nine minutes into the second-half as they scored their third goal.

They won a corner on the right, Treacy’s inswinging flag-kick going straight in despite the efforts of Somma to clear off the line.

Within two minutes, PNE were level as Coutts was brought down by Max Gradel in the box – Davidson hammering the penalty into the roof of the net.

They went in front in the 64th minute, a rampant Parkin collecting Davidson’s pass on the edge of the box before turning and lashing a shot into the net.

Could it get any better? It did when Billy Jones dropped a searching ball over the Leeds defence for Iain Hume to arc a header over Higgs.