MATCH REPORT: PNE lose 3-2 to Bournemouth on penalties

PNE's Bailey Wright is bacl in the starting line-up
PNE's Bailey Wright is bacl in the starting line-up
Have your say

PNE fought back twice against Premiership new boys Bournemouth but the Lilywhites were denied another giant killing as the Cherries edged them out of the League Cup on penalties in a dramatic clash at Deepdale.

Shaun MacDonald pounced on Greg Cunningham’s clearance and headed the ball over Jordan Pickford who had come off his line to try and punch the ball away to give Bournemouth the lead in the 24th minute.

But super-sub Jordan Hugill impressed with some clinical finishing as he gobbled up his first chance of the game by heading home Cunningham’s left wing cross at the back post in the 85th minute.

The goal sent the game into extra time and Bournemouth regained their lead just six minutes into the first segment as Marc Pugh latched on to King’s deflected cross and slid the ball into the back of the net.

Hugill headed the ball into the path of Bailey Wright with three minutes to go but the ball hit Pugh’s arm and referee Nigel Miller pointed to the spot.

Daniel Johnson stepped up to fire the ball home and send the game to penalties.

But Hugill, man-of-the-match Alan Browne and Johnson all missed from the spot as Premier League club Bournemouth clinched passage to the Fourth Round of the League Cup by winning 3-2 on penalties.

PNE boss Simon Grayson made five changes to the side that lost 2-1 at Brentford on Saturday.

The North End boss was forced into two changes. Joe Garner picked up his fifth booking against Brentford and was suspended for the clash and new striker Eoin Doyle is cup tied and so was also unavailable for selection.

Marnick Vermijl and Neil Kilkenny moved to the bench as Paul Huntington missed the game due to a hamstring tweak.

Bailey Wright returned from the bench after he was rested on Saturday to replace Huntington and partner Tom Clarke at the back.

Chris Humphrey, Will Keane, John Welsh and Calum Woods all also returned to the starting line-up.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe made nine changes to the side that beat Sunderland 2-0 on Saturday with only Simon Francis and Steve Cook retaining their places in the starting XI.

Keane blazed a shot over the bar early on and his right footed shot fizzed straight into the arms of Bournemouth keeper Adam Federici as he tried to make an early impact with the absence of Doyle and Garner.

Josh King found space in the left of the box but his fierce strike was easily collected by Pickford at his near post.

The lively King stung Pickford’s palms as he kicked the ball up in the air, spun and smashed the ball towards goal but the young keeper was on hand to bat the ball away.

But seconds later Bournemouth took the lead.

Junior Stanislas whipped the ball into the box, Pickford was beaten to the punch by Cunningham who headed the ball away from the on-running Yann Kermorgant but the defender’s header flew into the path MacDonald at the top of the box who easily headed home over Pickford in the 24th minute.

Keane continued to be a threat but he failed to test Federici with two chances as he smashed the ball straight at a Bournemouth player at the top of the box and he sprinted into the right of the box but his right-footed shot was deflected wide.

Adam Federici came to meet Johnson’s corner and the Bournemouth keeper missed the ball but the unluckily for PNE it dropped to the feet of a Bournemouth player instead of Bailey Wright.

Stevie May’s venomous shot from distance crashed into the side netting as North End tried to find an equaliser.

PNE made an energetic start to the second half as young midfielder Browne found himself honing in on goal with just three minutes gone. But Bournemouth goalscorer MacDonald tracked back to push Browne to a tight angle and the Irishman’s shot deflected wide for a corner off MacDonald.

North End nearly scored from the subsequent set-piece as Clarke latched on to Johnson’s corner but the defender’s diving back post header crashed into the side netting.

Keane sprinted through on the left but his shot just fizzed wide of the right post and Keane failed to hit the target once again as his 18-yard shot gained a deflection and looped wide.

King was booked for fouling Wright in the 55th minute.

Browne’s header was comfortably collected by Federici and Johnson’s in-swinging set piece fell inches over the bar as North End dominated the opening stages of the second half.

Clarke nearly diverted the ball into his own net as Simon Francis’ cross hit his boot but Pickford was on hand to collect.

Substitute Jordan Hugill was at the forefront of one of North End’s best attacks as he laid the ball off for Keane but a Bournemouth defender managed to block the ball in the 79th minute.

And Keane was in the action moments later as he tried to pounce on substitute Kyel Reid’s delightful chip into the box but instead of heading the ball he tried to control it with his chest and it bounced to safety.

Hugill, Keane and Reid combined again but after the striker’s headed the ball into the path of Reid he smashed the ball over the bar.

PNE finally got the goal they deserved after Cunningham whipped the ball into the path of Hugill who rose up high at the back post and nodded home in the 85th minute.

Neither side could find a winner and so the game went into extra time.

Browne - who impressed throughout the game with some neat touches and instinctive runs from midfield - was booked for fouling a Bournemouth player just minutes into the first half of extra time.

But it was Bournemouth who regained their grip of the tie just six minutes into the first period of added time as King’s cross from inside the right of the box took a cruel deflection off a PNE player into the path of Pugh at the back post who fired home with ease.

Keane also picked up a yellow for tugging back Dan Gosling.

North End keeper Pickford pulled off a fine double save to keep North End in the game. Tomlin was unleashed after a loose ball from Browne fell into his path, he drove towards goal but Pickford was on hand to stop his first shot but the keeper parried the ball back into Tomlin’s path, Pickford recovered and managed to make himself big and narrow the angle so he could turn Tomlin’s second shot out wide.

In the second period Browne’s shot crashed back off a defender into the path of Johnson but the midfielder looped the ball way over the bar from 25-yards out.

Browne’s effort from distance just flew over the bar as North End upped the ante.

PNE won a free-kick on the halfway line with three minutes to go and Pickford smashed the ball towards Hugill on the right who nodded the ball towards Wright, The ball hit a Bournemouth arm on its way down and referee Nigel Miller pointed to the spot. Johnson stepped up and smashed the ball home to equalise for PNE and send the tie to penalties.

Hugill stepped up first for PNE but he aimed high to the left and his spot-kick was saved by Federici.

Stanislas scored Bournemouth’s first and Keane equalised for North End.

Steve Cook sent Pickford the wrong way to bury Bournemouth’s second.

PNE winger Reid stepped up to take North End’s third and scored the best penalty of the night with an emphatic finish that flew into the right of the net.

Pickford pulled off another fine save to thwart Gosling’s spot-kick but man-of-the-match Browne ended his night with a poor finish as his penalty was easily saved by Federici who dived to his left.

Pugh fired home to make it 3-2 and the ever so reliable Daniel Johnson took PNE’s fifth and final spot-kick but his strike was also saved by Federici to clinch a 3-2 penalty victory for Bournemouth.

PNE: Pickford, Woods, Clarke, Wright, Cunningham, Humphrey (Vermijl, 78), Welsh (Reid, 73), Browne, Johnson, Keane, May (Hugill, 73). Subs not used: Kirkland, Kilkenny, Brownhill, Smith.

Bournemouth: Federici, Francis, Cook, Cargill, Smith, MacDonald (Gosling, 90), O’Kane, Atsu (Tomlin, 81), King, Stanislas, Kermorgant (Pugh, 81). Subs not used: Allsop, Butcher, Buckley, Surridge.

Referee: Nigel Miller (County Durham)

Attendance: 5,643 (away 269)