Match report: Morecambe 1 Carlisle United 1

Callum Lang's 10th goal of the season earned another point for Morecambe as they all but secured League Two status for another year.

Saturday, 14th April 2018, 7:02 pm
Updated Saturday, 14th April 2018, 7:06 pm
Callum Lang scored Morecambe's equaliser

With the Shrimps trailing to Jamie Devitt’s 13th minute free-kick, Lang’s 29th minute leveller meant honours were even in front of the biggest crowd of the season at the Globe Arena.

It also meant Jim Bentley’s players stayed 20th in the table, seven points clear of the bottom two with four games left, one more than second-bottom Barnet.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

An entertaining 90 minutes saw both teams have opportunities to claim victory, only to fall short in the end.

The deadlock was broken when Luke Conlan’s horribly mistimed tackle brought down James Brown 20 yards out and on the right-hand side of the Morecambe area.

With most people perhaps expecting Danny Grainger to curl a left-footed effort at goal, the right-footed Devitt bent a shot around the wall, leaving Barry Roche stranded as the ball went in via the woodwork.

Six minutes later and another Carlisle free-kick 20 yards from goal saw Roche get the better of Devitt this time, keeping out his effort.

Roche was again forced into action in keeping out Richard Bennett’s header before Morecambe’s neat football was rewarded with an equaliser.

Adam McGurk had seen a half-volley pushed away by Carlisle keeper Jack Bonham and Michael Rose curled an effort off target before Lang showed them how it should be done.

McGurk swung over a cross from the right-hand side and Lang got the better of his marker to head home from close range.

Rose was off target again before half-time, after which the visitors enjoyed the better of the game.

Cole Stockton saw one effort held by Roche and headed another off target, while Devitt and the increasingly influential Mike Jones saw shots blocked.

Jones scuffed another attempt narrowly wide though, with the game becoming increasingly open, both sides could have claimed three points.

The best chance fell to Lang who, having been played through, saw his shot kept out by Bonham with Aaron Wildig heading over seconds later.

There was still time for Roche to keep out Grainger’s effort at his near post as three minutes of injury time failed to produce a winner.

Morecambe: Roche, Winnard, Lavelle, Old, McGowan, Fleming, Rose, Conlan, Lang (Ellison 90), Thompson (Oliver 76), McGurk (Wildig 62). Subs not used: Nizic, Kenyon, Campbell, Wylde.

Carlisle United: Bonham, Liddle, Hill, Ellis, Parkes (Joyce 46), Brown (Campbell-Ryce 70), Devitt, Jones, Grainger, Bennett, Stockton (Nadesan 59). Subs not used: Gray, Sullivan, Lambe, Twardek.

Referee: John Brooks.

Attendance: 3,319.