Match report: Accrington Stanley 1 Morecambe 0

Morecambe's hopes of putting extra daylight between themselves and the relegation places were dealt a blow with defeat at the Wham Stadium.
Gregg Wylde had three efforts at the Accrington Stanley goal in the first halfGregg Wylde had three efforts at the Accrington Stanley goal in the first half
Gregg Wylde had three efforts at the Accrington Stanley goal in the first half

Billy Kee’s penalty in first-half stoppage time proved the difference as the Shrimps’ inconsistency again cost them dearly and Stanley won for the seventh straight home game.

With both sides having had last weekend off - and coming off victories the week before - it was no surprise that they fielded the same starting XIs and substitutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was the home side who started the better and looked dangerous out wide through Jordan Clark and Sean McConville.

However, it was a largely scrappy opening with chances at a premium in the first 15 minutes.

Seamus Coneely volleyed wide of the Shrimps goal and Aaron McGowan fired off target from long range at the other end.

Stanley’s early dominance forced Barry Roche into two saves in three minutes, the first denying Scott Brown and the second keeping out Kayden Jackson’s shot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Morecambe then grew into the game with Gregg Wylde their main attacking threat, seeing two shots deflected wide and shooting well over from 18 yards.

Adam McGurk’s long-range shot was comfortably held by Stanley keeper Aaron Chapman before the hosts took the lead with half-time approaching.

With seconds remaining of the one added minute, Dean Winnard sent Jackson sprawling and Kee beat Roche from 12 yards.

Trailing at the break, Morecambe were again on the back foot early in the second half with Callum Johnson having a shot blocked, Steve Old’s clearance hitting Jackson and rebounding over, while Winnard’s last-ditch block thwarted Brown.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With the Shrimps struggling to assert themselves going forward, Morecambe boss Jim Bentley shuffled his pack with Callum Lang and Andy Fleming both introduced early in the second half.

The closest they came to an equaliser was with 20 minutes left when Old’s header was inadvertently cleared off the line by Kevin Ellison and the defender headed the loose ball off target.

Roche held Kee’s 20-yarder as Stanley sought a second goal, while Bentley brought Garry Thompson off the bench as his last throw of the dice.

It did little to pep up the Shrimps, who huffed and puffed but to little effect despite six minutes of added time after an injury to one of the referee’s assistants.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Roche held Jackson’s shot at the second attempt and Kee had another blocked as Stanley ran out comfortable winners.

Accrington Stanley: Chapman, Johnson, Dunne, Hughes, Donacien, Clark, Brown, Coneely, McConville, Jackson, Kee. Subs not used: Maxted, Richards-Everton, Nolan, Zanzala, Williams, Sousa, Rodgers.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Old, Winnard, Conlan, Kenyon (Fleming 61), Rose, Wylde, Wildig (Lang 56), Ellison, McGurk (Thompson 74). Subs not used: Nizic, Campbell, Lavelle, Lund.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton.

Attendance: 1,769.