Manchester United told to pay £40m for Chelsea’s Juan Mata

Juan Mata
Juan Mata
Share this article
0
Have your say

Round-up of football headlines from clubs including Chelsea, Manchester United, Blackpool and Chelsea

Daily Mail: Manchester United have been told to pay £40million for Juan Mata after the champions stepped up their interest in the Chelsea outcast. Also: Police were called to Swansea City’s training ground after defender Chico Flores allegedly picked up a brick in a furious row with team-mate Garry Monk. Turkish club Sivasspor are keen on signing West Ham striker Modibo Maiga. The Mali forward, 26, has been told he can leave the club by manager Sam Allardyce after scoring just twice in 19 games.

The Guardian: Blackpool boss Paul Ince held crisis talks with chairman Karl Oyston and is set to remain in charge of the struggling Championship side for Saturday’s game against Doncaster. Chelsea are braced to receive a club record bid from Manchester United for their unsettled attacker Juan Mata, an offer which will test the London club’s resolve to retain the Spain international despite his fringe status in the first team this season. Also: The storm surrounding Nicolas Anelka’s controversial “quenelle” goal celebration against West Ham United last month shows no sign of abating after Zoopla, the property website and principal sponsor of West Bromwich Albion, announced that it will sever all ties with the Premier League club at the end of this season.

Daily Express: West Brom’s sponsors ended their £3m deal with the club last night just hours before Nicolas Anelka learns whether he will be charged by the FA over his controversial ‘quenelle’ gesture. Striker Samuel Eto’o, 32, says he will sign for Mallorca when his short-term contract at Chelsea expires at the end of the season.

The Sun: David Moyes has held showdown talks with Robin van Persie over the striker’s fitness. Also: West Brom battled back to gain a vital point in Pepe Mel’s first game as boss.

Daily Mirror: Manchester United could have red faces by curtailing their glamour pre-season US tour to play in a Europa League qualifier. Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is keen to bring Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov back to White Hart Lane but manager Tim Sherwood is reluctant on a move for the 32-year-old. Manchester United are planning a pre-season tour of North America to mark the start of a £53m sponsorship deal with Chevrolet but may have to cut the trip short if they fail to qualify for the Champions League and have to play a Europa League tie in July. Sunderland manager Gus Poyet thinks that centre-back Wes Brown, 34, can play for the club until he is 40.

Daily Star: Wayne Rooney’s future at Manchester United hinges on qualifying for the Champions League. Also: Diego Lugano scored with a stunning late header to give Pepe Mel an unbeaten start as new Baggies boss last night. Hull City manager Steve Bruce wants to sign Ghana international midfielder Sulley Muntari, 29, from AC Milan in a £3.9m deal.

Daily Telegraph: Chelsea were on Monday night braced for a possible bid for Juan Mata from Manchester United. Anelka played for 77 minutes of Albion’s Premier League 1-1 draw with Everton on Monday night and is expected to discover his fate from the FA on Tuesday morning.

The Independent: Nicolas Anelka will finally be charged by the Football Association on Tuesday morning over his “quenelle” gesture that has attracted controversy for its anti-Semitic connotations and will face a long-term ban if found guilty. Also: Manchester United are expected to make a bid for the out-of-favour Chelsea playmaker Juan Mata in the next two days, with Jose Mourinho having the ultimate say over whether the Spain international leaves or not.

The Times: Nicolas Anelka spearheaded the West Bromwich Albion attack against Everton last night - a selection that cost the club a £3m sponsorship deal. Also: Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie are losing their battle to be fit to face Sunderland tomorrow. Stoke City have put in a £5m bid for Monaco striker Emmanuel Riviere, 23.