Home not where the art is for Jim

Mark Hughes was a scorer for Morecambe
Mark Hughes was a scorer for Morecambe
Have your say

Morecambe 1 Burton Albion 2

Morecambe’s miserable home form continued with a poor display against a Burton Albion side who sealed promotion to League One.

Two goals from Lucas Akins gave a Brewers side, containing former Preston players John Mousinho, Stuart Beavon and Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, the win they needed to clinch promotion on another disappointing afternoon for home fans.

Apart from a late rally where the Shrimps scored a last-minute consolation goal through Mark Hughes, Jim Bentley’s side were second best and suffered their ninth home defeat of the campaign.

Burton passed up a golden chance to score on five minutes when Tom Naylor produced a poor final pass when he looked clear, before Nasser El Khayati beat three men but could only shoot tamely at Andreas Arestidou.

At the other end, Jamie Devitt was denied by a vital defensive block and Jack Redshaw shot inches wide of the right-hand post from the edge of the area.

Arestdiou saved well from Akins at his near post, before the Morecambe keeper denied the visitors again with a fine penalty save from Damien McCrory.

That came after Laurence Wilson had brought down Beavon, after a shocking pass from Andy Fleming left his defender in trouble.

Unfortunately Morecambe failed to heed the warning and a minute later conceded the opening goal after more woeful defending.

Andy Parrish was caught in possession on the edge of his own area and Akins took full advantage to slide the ball under the onrushing Arestidou.

Burton continued to dominate without creating too many chances but should have doubled their lead just after the break when Robbie Weir played in Akins only to see him denied by an excellent Arestidou save.

Morecambe should have scored moments later when Wilson found Fleming with a pinpoint cross but the midfielder shot wildly over from six yards out.

He was made to pay when Burton scored their second on the hour.

Arestidou failed to control a back pass and hacked down Beavon after he stole the loose ball to concede a second penalty and Akins made no mistake on this occasion.

Burton then threatened to run riot, with Kevin Stewart denied a third by another smart save from Arestidou and substitute Jack Dunn flashing an effort just wide from the right-hand side.

But with time running out Morecambe shocked the visitors with a goal of their own when Hughes headed home a Paul Mulllin cross from close range and with promotion in their sights, Burton began to panic.

The Shrimps piled forward and almost spoiled the promotion party when the ball fell perfectly for Aaron Wildig but he volleyed wide of the left-hand post and Burton claimed the three points they needed.

MORECAMBE: Arestidou, Beeley, Parrish, Hughes, Wilson, Kenyon, Devitt (Amond 69), Fleming, Wildig, Ellison, Redshaw (Mullin 69). Subs (not used): Roche, Bondswell, McGowan, Wright, Goodall

BURTON: McLaughlin, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, Mousinho, McCrory, Naylor, Stewart (Maynard 90), El Khayati (Dunn 72), Weir, Akins, Beavon (Johnstone 80).

Subs (not used): Taft, Palmer, Harness, Shearer

Referee: K Stroud

Attendance: 2,139