Garstang FC boss confirms Covid-19 concerns have delayed their season
Garstang FC will have to wait another few days for their league season to begin as a result of Covid-19 concerns.
The Riversiders had been due to travel to Bacup Borough on Saturday for the opening game of their NWCFL First Division North season.
However, manager Richard Cookney revealed on Monday that the game has been postponed and they won’t return to action until next Wednesday at the earliest.
He said: “We’ve called it off. There are a few Covid-19 cases so, to be on the safe side, we would rather not play.
“It became apparent after the Northwich Victoria game last week. It’s a couple of our players and we don’t know where it’s come from.
“Because you can never pinpoint where it’s come from we thought it was better to call the game off and not risk anything, especially this close to the season starting. I’ve spoken to the chairman (Adrian Wilding) today and he’s confirmed the league has backed us.
“We’re due to come back on the Wednesday (October 7) against Cleator Moor Celtic because the isolation period will finish on the Tuesday.”
On paper at least, the Riversiders’ build-up to the 2020/21 league campaign had been mixed.
Garstang had won three and drawn one of their nine pre-season outings, either side of an FA Vase defeat against Silsden.
Last midweek saw them follow up that defeat with a 4-1 friendly loss to Northwich Victoria, though Cookney was happy with what he saw.
Speaking after that game, he said: “You look at the scoreline and people will think it was a bit of a hammering but it wasn’t in the slightest.
“Performance-wise, 4-1 doesn’t describe the game. It was night and day from Saturday’s performance against Silsden.
“That team we played will definitely be up there next year. I felt we matched them all over the park.”