Full-time: PNE 2 Leyton Orient 2

PNE v Leyton Orient
PNE v Leyton Orient
Have your say

Preston North End were booed off at Deepdale after drawing 2-2 with League One strugglers Leyton Orient.

PNE moved up to third in the League One table after the draw with Orient who move a point away from the relegation zone.

Sam Johnstone’s hopes of a clean sheet on début ended in the fifth minute as David Mooney’s low, fizzing strike flew into the left corner.

Leyland lad Johnstone dived low to his right but was beaten by a fine strike after PNE left back David Buchanan had been robbed in possession in North End’s half.

But Jermaine Beckford’s powerful header levelled the scoreline in the 23rd minute.

Left winger Kyel Reid was tripped in Orient’s box and Paul Gallagher stepped up to fire North End ahead from the spot in the 68th minute.

But the O’s clawed their way back into the game as Chris Dagnall’s sweet 12-yard strike curled into the bottom corner in the 79th minute.

Out of 22 shots only five were on target as North End peppered 17 efforts over or wide of Orient keeper Gary Woods’ goal.

PNE boss Simon Grayson made three changes to the side that lost 2-1 to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane last weekend.

Johnstone made his PNE début after signing on loan from Premier League heavyweights Manchester United earlier this week.

The keeper replaced German shot-stopper Thorsten Stuckmann who dropped to the bench.

Josh Brownhill and Kyel Reid were recalled to the starting XI as John Welsh and Kevin Davies dropped to the bench.

PNE defender Tom Clarke captained the side in Welsh’s absence and his brother Orient centre back Nathan Clarke captained the O’s.

Buchanan was caught in possession in the PNE half and Mooney stormed into the box before firing past débutante Johnstone in the fifth minute.

Beckford had a shot blocked six yards out and Gallagher fired way wide as North End launched a fight back.

But the striker rippled the back of the net minutes later and bagged his third PNE goal as he latched on to Gallagher’s sweet free-kick and headed the ball home in the 23rd minute.

Buchanan smashed the ball straight into Woods’ waiting grasp, Reid’s ambitious shot soared way wide and Scott Wiseman’s strike flew even further away from goal as PNE tried to take the lead before the break.

And PNE midfielder Brownhill sent the ball crashing into the stands once again as his long range effort sailed over the bar.

Reid started the second half as PNE ended up by firing another shot from distance way off target.

PNE shot-stopper Johnstone made a fine save, tipping goalscorer Mooney’s strike round the post.

Minutes later up the other end North End winger Humphrey sliced a shot wide and substitute Scott Laird forced Woods into a diving save.

Reid was tripped in the Orient box and referee Scott Duncan awarded a penalty. Gallagher stepped up to the spot and smashed the ball past Woods.

But Dagnall curled the ball into the bottom right corner to equalise for the O’s in the 79th minute.

PNE winger Humphrey fired over the bar from just 12-yards out a minute later.

Kevin Davies came off the bench to make his 800th career appearance in the 84th minute.

But North End could not find a winner late on.

PNE: Johnstone, Wiseman, Clarke, Huntington, Buchanan (Laird, 57), Humphrey (Davies, 84), Kilkenny, Brownhill (Browne, 84), Reid, Gallagher, Beckford. Subs not used: Stuckmann, Wright, Welsh, Ebanks-Blake.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Sawyer, Cuthbert, Lisbie (Plasmati, 53), Mooney, Lowry, Clarke, Wright, Pritchard, Dagnall, Lundstram. Subs not used: Grainger, Baudry, Lee, Agyemang, Adeboyejo, Dossena.

Referee: Scott Duncan (Northumberland)

Attendance: 8,555 (134 away)