Former PNE star Gregan backs Moyes return

David Moyes
David Moyes
Share this article
0
Have your say

Ex-Preston North End skipper Sean Gregan is backing his old boss David Moyes to make a swift return to football after being sacked by Manchester United.

Gregan was Moyes’ captain during his four-year tenure at Deepdale, PNE winning the old Second Division title in 2000 and getting to within 90 minutes of the Premier League the following year.

United dismissed the Scotsman yesterday after just 10 months in the Old Trafford hotseat.

First-team coach Jimmy Lumsden – who was on PNE’s staff under Moyes – and No.2 Steve Round look set to follow Moyes out of the club.

Gregan told the Evening Post: “Moyes will be back, I’m certain of that.

“He will probably have a little break, maybe have the summer off, then see what comes up.

“There will be positions in Europe and in the Premier League which will appeal.

“For example, if there was a change at Newcastle, that is a big job which would attract him.

“He won’t be out of work for too long and he’ll bounce back from this experience.

“Most managers get the sack at some point in their career and it is all about how you respond to that.

“Moyes will be hurt by what has happened at United, he won’t have liked it, but he will learn from it and come back stronger.

“He’s been in management 14 years or so, and his time at Everton was an apprenticeship for the United job almost.

“What has done for him in the end is the dressing room turning against him.

“I’ve been at plenty of clubs when that has happened, and two things can then happen.

“Either the manager gets rid of those causing the unrest, or the players get their way and the manager goes.

“In this case, it is Moyes who has gone after a very short time in the job.

“It wouldn’t have been nice for him by the end.

“The fans were restless and Sunday’s defeat at Everton did him no favours.”

Gregan admits that the timing of United firing the bullet had surprised many, but the Red Devils had done so now with their planning having started for next season.

Instead of leaving him in situ until a clean break in the summer, they chose to sack the 50-year-old with four games of the season left and put Ryan Giggs in interim charge.

“I think most people would have expected him to have at least seen the season out,” said Gregan.

“You would have thought that he would have got until well into next season to get his own players in.

“Had things still been the same this time next year, then Moyes could have no complaints.

“Sacking managers is not the United way but you have to look at the bigger picture.

“The club is worth a couple of billion and the share price is a big issue.

“With the timing of it all, I suppose that United have sacked him now in order to be in a position to hit the ground running next season.

“They lost valuable time last year with him only starting the job on July 1.

“By that time other clubs had already signed players and Moyes was playing catch-up to some extent.

“They will use this next few weeks to have a look at who is available.

“Then whoever it is they appoint will have the whole of the summer to sign the players he wants.”