Brig storm to Cup triumph

Boss Neil Reynolds hailed his Bamber Bridge team as heroes after they gloriously claimed the NPL League Cup.

Wednesday, 19th April 2017, 11:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:20 pm
Bamber Bridge celebrate their 2-1 final victory

Brig defeated Premier Division outfit Grantham Town 2-1 after a pulsating final, which was held at Leek Town’s Harrison Park’s ground.

Jamie Milligan’s brilliant free-kick in first half injury time and Regan Linney’s magnificent finish three minutes after the break put Brig firmly in the ascendancy.

Danny Meadows’s towering header on 64 minutes gave the Gingerbreads hope, but the men from Irongate held on to claim the club’s first piece of silverware in 13 years.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“I am absolutely delighted for the club and everybody connected with the club,” Reynolds said.

“We had that belief from the first round when we went to Burscough and ever since then we’ve harboured that little ambition that we can win this trophy.

“Hopefully this trophy can be the first of many.”

Brig were the better team in the opening 25 minutes, although they received a scare as early as the first minute when Lee Shaw volleyed over when well placed inside the area.

As the half wore on Grantham began to build some momentum and Harry Clifton looked like he had opened the scoring but his diving header on 31 minutes went the wrong side of the post.

However, it was Brig who got that all important first goal when Linney was fouled 25 yards out.

Former Everton, Blackpool and Fleetwood Town midfielder Jamie Milligan stepped up and curled a beauty over the wall into the corner of the net.

If that was good, it was to get even better for Brig shortly after half-time as Linney latched onto a through-ball from Michael Potts, controlled the ball with his chest before slamming the ball past an unmoved Preston.

Town, who had only lost twice in their previous 30 fixtures, were shell shocked but they forced a way back into the game when Meadows headed past Lloyd Rigby from Lee Shaw’s centre.

Town piled forward for the remainder of the match, but Brig held firm to leave 200 travelling supporters jubilant.