Non-league round-up

Glenn Steel netted for Brig
Glenn Steel netted for Brig
Have your say

Bamber Bridge’s NPL First Division North play-off hopes suffered a set-back with 3-1 defeat at Trafford.

Lee Neville gave the hosts a 22nd-minute lead.

And Chris McDonagh doubled the Mancunians’ advantage nine minutes into the second half.

Glenn Steel’s 67th-minute strike gave Brig brief hope of getting something from the game.

But Luke Horrocks settled any Trafford nerves in the final minute.

Elsewhere in the NPL First Division North, Clitheroe and Kendal Town played 
out a goalless draw at Shawbridge.

Lancaster City were 2-1 winners at home to Warrington Town.

Zach Clark scored both the Dolly Blues’ goals inside seven minutes shortly after half-time.

Ben Deegan reduced the arrears for Warrington in the 68th minute – but Lancaster held on.

Burscough had to settle for a 1-1 draw at home to Northwich Victoria.

Richard Bennett put Vics in front after 10 minutes.

But Matthew Devine (53) earned the Linnetts a deserved point.

Torrential rain saw Saturday’s National League North match between AFC Fylde and Bradford Park Avenue abandoned after 33 minutes.

Danny Rowe had given the Coasters the lead moments before the heavens 
opened. But now the match will be replayed at a later date.
Southport made themselves virtually safe from relegation with a 2-0 defeat of fellow strugglers, Guiseley, on Saturday which put them eight point above the National League drop zone.

Josh Thompson nearly opened the scoring for the Sandgrounders in the second minute but keeper Daniel Atkinson blocked his shot.

A minute later, Mike Phenix had a header deflected for a corner, then new loan signing striker Jonny Margetts from Tranmere Rovers, headed over the bar in front of an open goal.

Jon Visconi did well to save from Will Hatfield in the 24th minute but it was all Southport making the running and, after Paul Rutherford hsaw a shot saved, Margetts fired in from the edge of the area to give them a 36th-minute lead.

Craig Westcarr, on as sub for Margetts, doubled the lead in the 66th minute when he hit a 30-yard shot, from a narrow angle, high above the keeper, who was stranded out of his goal and could only watch it fly over him into the net.