Reece MacMillan is ready to make up for lost time when he finally makes his professional debut this weekend.
The former Skerton ABC man was set to enter the paid ranks at Preston’s Guild Hall back in February, only for an administrative error with his medical meaning his pro bow had to be cancelled just four days before fight night.
Everything is in order now however for MacMillan to step through the ropes at Bolton Wanderers’ Macron Stadium on Saturday night.
The Westgate fighter, who boxed for England as an amateur, said: “What happened last time was unbelievable.
“I’m just looking forward to this first one and getting it out of the way.
“I still can’t let myself believe I’m going to fight, with what happened last time.
“I didn’t want to speak to anyone, I was that gutted. It was even worse on the night when I should have been fighting.
“Now I’m good to go though and I can’t wait. You can’t really call yourself a professional boxer until you’ve had that first fight.”
Welterweight MacMillan, who faces Scottish journeyman Ryan McNicol on Saturday night, has made some changes since his debut was put back.
Having trained with manager Kieran Farrell, the former Morecambe High School pupil has now linked up with Preston-based cornerman Johnney Roye.
MacMillan, who once shared an amateur gym with fellow district professionals Isaac Lowe and Tomi Tatham, said: “I’m training in Preston with Johnney Roye now.
“It was costing me a fortune going down to Manchester to train with Kieran. There was the time as well – it was taking two hours sometimes with the traffic.
“Kieran is still my manager and is sorting my fights but there are some quality fighters with Johnney in Preston. I’m just looking to keep on improving.”
MacMillan hopes to have approaching 100 fans supporting him in the Premier Suite at the Macron Stadium on the night.
Tickets are still available for the show jointly put together by Tyson Fury’s advisor Asif Vali, promoter Dennis Hobson and Farrell. Call MacMillan on 07469 924248.
Meanwhile, Tatham has vowed to prove his doubters wrong after seeing a bid to challenge for the British title knocked back by the British Boxing Board of Control.
The Lancaster light-heavyweight had been forward as a potential opponent for Lonsdale belt holder Hosea Burton on the undercard of Anthony Crolla’s world title defence at the Manchester Arena on May 7.