Fury fails to show at Klitschko press conference after car breaks down

Tyson Fury.
Tyson Fury.
Have your say

Tyson Fury failed to show for the press conference to promote his October 29 rematch with Wladimir Klitschko amid claims his car had broken down.

Morecambe’s world heavyweight champion was due to go face-to-face with the Ukrainian great in London on Monday but was left stranded on the M6.

His manager Mick Hennessy also insisted his phone had run out of battery and that he was stuck in traffic.

It was revealed, however, that his hearing with the independent National Anti-Doping Panel will take place on a date to be confirmed in November.

Frank Warren of BoxNation - the channel televising the fight - and Hennessy said that Mr Charles Flint QC of the High Court had given permission for the October 29 date to proceed.

The 28-year-old has been charged over the alleged presence of banned substance nandrolone with a provisional suspension lifted on appeal as Fury and his cousin Hughie strenuously denying any wrongdoing.

Warren said: “His car broke down on the way down, we’ve just found out, so he’s stuck somewhere on the M6.

“That is a problem for us: apologies to everybody, to (Klitschko’s promotional company) K2 and Wladimir.

“Mr Flint, who is the head of the tribunal, has ruled that the fight will go ahead and the hearing will take place afterwards, so there is no danger of that stopping the fight happening.

“There is no way this fight does not happen unless, God forbid, one of them gets an injury.”

Klitschko experienced David Haye missing a press conference to promote their fight in 2011, and spoke with some uncertainty about whether the rematch for Fury’s WBA and WBO heavyweight titles would take place.

They were originally scheduled to fight on July 9 before an ankle injury forced Fury’s withdrawal.

“Fury is not here right now but maybe he is invisible,” said Klitschko, 40.

“But eventually - and I hope so - we will meet in the ring.

“It’s okay, I can wait. I can wait because I have enough patience. Because I am really looking forward to the revenge.”

Fury’s trainer and uncle Peter was present, and he added: “There has been chaos around this fight.

“We have had hard knocks in life but we can happily say this will go ahead because that is what the judge has ruled and I am so happy we can have the fight.”