Woman rescued after cigarette fire

ashtray overflown by old stubs
ashtray overflown by old stubs
Share this article
Have your say

A woman had to be rescued by firefighters after a blaze at her home.

Crews from Penwortham, Tarleton and Leyland were mobilised to the semi-detached house in Back Lane, Longton, just after 11pm on Sunday, following a call from the police.

Penwortham crew manager Patrick Barlow was first on the scene. He said: “We could see flames coming from the back window and went to force entry, but then the woman managed to struggle to the back door and unlock it, so we could pull her out.

“The fire was very small and had been caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette in a bin, but there was a lot of smoke and the woman was suffering from smoke inhalation.”

The woman, said to be middle-aged, was taken to hospital for checks.

Mr Barlow added: “People need to be very careful what they do with cigarette ends.”

For further advice on how to improve fire safety around the home, arrange a free Home Fire Safety check by calling your local fire station.