Ribchester Arms forced to close after being 'gutted' by Storm Ciara flooding

A popular Ribchester pub and restaurant has been forced to close due to flooding.

Monday, 10th February 2020, 11:14 am
Updated Monday, 10th February 2020, 11:27 am

The Ribchester Arms in Blackburn Road was reportedly under 2.5ft (76cm) of water at peak flooding yesterday afternoon (February 9).

The water has subsided and a clean-up operation began this morning.

Robinsons Brewery, who own and operate the pub on the banks of the Ribble, has said it will remain closed for a week.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The brewery's website said it is scheduled to reopen on Monday, February 17.

But manager Liam Fairey said the pub might be closed for longer after being 'gutted' by yesterday's flood water.

"It's too early to say at this point, we're just carrying out a survey of the damage this morning", said Mr Fairey.

"The water has subsided, but I think we might be closed a bit longer than a week.

Flood water reached 2.5ft during yesterday's flooding at the Ribchester Arms. Pic: Leanne. @Leanne_Bayes

"It is back to square one again this morning.

"But we'll be working as hard as we can to reopen as soon as possible, it's just too early to say when at the moment.

"But we're confident we won't be closed for as long as last time, because of the preventative measures we took after the 2015 floods."

The Ribchester Arms was forced to close for 102 days after it was devastated when the river burst its banks on Boxing Day, 2015.

Flood water reaches the windowsills of the Ribchester Arms yesterday (February 9). Pic: @Leanne_Bayes

The pub was completely refurbished and protective measures were put in place to save the pub from future flooding.

Last night (February 9), Ribble Valley Council set up two rescue centres - one at Whalley Village Hall and the other at Billington Brass Band Working Men's Club - to provide shelter to residents affected by flooding in the area.

All residents have since been allowed to return to their homes.

Flood water reached 2.5ft during yesterday's flooding at the Ribchester Arms. Pic: Ribchester Arms
The Ribchester Arms said it will close for "at least a week" whilst repairs are carried out. Pic: Ribchester Arms