Lancashire braces for more thunderstorms after yellow weather warning
Thunderstorms are forecast for Lancashire today (June 15) as the Met Office issues a yellow weather warning for the North West.
The forecaster said intermittent thunderstorms are likely to interrupt a mostly sunny day across the region, between 1pm and 9pm.
Thundery downpours are expected through the afternoon, with temperatures reaching a high of 23° and a low of 13°.
According to the Met Office, Preston and the Wyre will receive the brunt of the heavy downpours from 3pm, with Blackpool and the Fylde coast experiencing brief bursts of thunder and scattered showers.
Some hail showers and bouts of lightning might also hit parts of Lancashire, with torrential downpours bringing up to 40mm of rain in concentrated areas in the space of 2 to 3 hours.
The thunderstorms will then move east towards Yorkshire in the early evening.
It has issued a yellow weather warning for the North West because the thunderstorms might cause travel disruption in a few places.
What can we expect?
The Met Office said we might experience the following:
- Some flooding of a few homes and businesses likely, leading to some damage to buildings or structures
- Probably some damage to a few buildings and structures from lightning strikes
- There is a good chance driving conditions will be affected by spray, standing water and/or hail, leading to longer journey times by car and bus
- Delays to train services are possible
- Some short term loss of power and other services is likely