Warning after garage gutted in electrical fire

An electrical fire at a garage in Stuart Road, Ribbleton, Preston
An electrical fire at a garage in Stuart Road, Ribbleton, Preston
0
Have your say

A firefighter in Preston has issued a safety warning about electrical items after a garage was completely destroyed.

Watch manager Mark Woodward was speaking after two fire engines were called out to tackle a blaze at a detached garage on Stuart Road in Ribbleton, which took one-and-a half hours to put out.

The city’s station received the call at around 11.30am on Saturday.

Watch manager Woodward said: “It was a fire in a detached garage and the cause was electrical.

“We want to issue the message that if people do install electrical items in their garages, be it freezers, washing machines or anything else, make sure the items are installed by a qualified electrician.

“It is also worth checking the instructions in regard to temperature storage and it is essential there is no leak in the garage which cause caused a problem with the electrics.

“If any of these things are not right, they can cause a fire.”