Warning after garage gutted in electrical fire

A firefighter in Preston has issued a safety warning about electrical items after a garage was completely destroyed.

Saturday, 28th April 2018, 3:40 pm
Updated Sunday, 29th April 2018, 1:31 pm
An electrical fire at a garage in Stuart Road, Ribbleton, Preston

Watch manager Mark Woodward was speaking after two fire engines were called out to tackle a blaze at a detached garage on Stuart Road in Ribbleton, which took one-and-a half hours to put out.

The city’s station received the call at around 11.30am on Saturday.

Watch manager Woodward said: “It was a fire in a detached garage and the cause was electrical.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We want to issue the message that if people do install electrical items in their garages, be it freezers, washing machines or anything else, make sure the items are installed by a qualified electrician.

“It is also worth checking the instructions in regard to temperature storage and it is essential there is no leak in the garage which cause caused a problem with the electrics.

“If any of these things are not right, they can cause a fire.”