UPDATE: Neighbours had to flee after house blaze in Fylde

editorial image
Have your say

Neighbours were forced to flee their homes when a devastating fire tore through the roof of a Fylde house.

The cause of the blaze, on Harbour Lane, Warton, is still under investigation – but police do not believe it was started deliberately.

A fire tore through the roof of a house on Harbour Lane, Warton.

A fire tore through the roof of a house on Harbour Lane, Warton.

Firefighters had to kick down the door of one house as they battled to prevent the fire from spreading on Wednesday afternoon.

Smoke poured from the roof of the three-storey property and could be seen for miles around.

It is thought an electrical fault started the blaze in the loft as emergency services spent four hours trying to bring it under control.

Neighbours told of their shock at discovering the damage, which left a gaping hole in the roof of the house.

Paula Williams, 43, was on her way to pick up her grandson when she saw the road was closed.

She said: “I completely flapped – I was thinking ‘my house is on that block’.

“There was no damage here but we can smell smoke.

“I spoke to the woman who lives in the other house and she’s very upset.”

The next-door neighbour said she came home from work to find her front door had been forced open by the emergency services.

She said: “It was a real mess but they had to break in to make sure the fire didn’t spread.

“It’s a storage area up there and some stuff has spoiled but it just smells really.”

Lancashire Fire and Rescue said six crews spent four hours fighting the blaze.

A spokesman said: “Three properties adjacent had to be evacuated and we sent down an aerial ladder platform to gain access to the roof.”

Nobody was hurt and the occupant of the home was able to get out safely before emergency services arrived.

She declined to comment.

Emergency services were called at noon.

The road was still closed and police were still at the scene on Wednesday evening.

Det Sgt Mark Dickinson, of Blackpool CID, said “We are not viewing the fire as suspicious.

“It was quite bad – it has burned through the roof and destroyed the attic.At this time, it looks as though it may have been an electrical fault.

“One person was present when the fire started, who was able to leave and call the fire brigade.”