UPDATE: Man, 80, one of three in hospital after Fylde smash

The junction of Lytham Road and Lodge Lane. Photo: Google
The junction of Lytham Road and Lodge Lane. Photo: Google
Have your say

A man is in a “stable” condition after being airlifted to hospital following a car crash in Fylde yesterday, police have said.

An 80-year-old man was among three people who suffered “serious” injuries following the two-car smash on Lytham Road, in Warton.

The two drivers and a passenger all had to be cut free from their vehicles on Sunday when a grey Hyundai I30 and a white Ford Ka collided at around 3.20pm.

There were long delays in the area as the road was closed between Lodge Lane and West End Lane while police investigators were on the scene.

The 29-year-old passenger, travelling in the Ford Ka, suffered serious injuries and was airlifted to Royal Preston Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition, police say.

The driver of the Ford Ka, a 24-year-old woman, and the driver of the Hyundai, an 80-year-old man, sustained serious chest and hip injuries which also required hospital treatment.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “The driver of the Hyundai and the two occupants of the Ka were removed from their vehicles by Lancashire Fire and Rescue.

“The passenger from the Ka was airlifted by air ambulance to Royal Preston Hospital and his condition is described as stable.

“The two drivers also required hospital treatment and have also been monitored in hospital with serious injuries.”

An investigation into the accident continues and police are appealing for witnesses.

Sgt Adam Dawson, of the Road Policing Unit, said: “An investigation is underway to establish exactly how this collision occurred and I would appeal to anyone who witnessed what happened and has not already spoken to us to get in touch.”

A Lancashire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Two people were trapped in one car, one person in the other.

“Two fire engines and crews – from Lytham and St Annes – were assigned to this incident and worked with great efficiency to release the casualties using hydraulic rescue equipment.

“One casualty was taken to hospital by air ambulance, the other two by road ambulance.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting log number 940 of September 27.