UPDATE: Candles to blame for severe flat flat in Preston

Fire engine
Fire engine
Share this article
Have your say

Firefighters have revealed candles caused a flat blaze in Preston on Wednesday.

Crews were called to a ground floor flat in Avon House, Samuel Street, at around 6.05pm.

Firefighters searched the property after it was initially reported somebody may have been inside.

But the female occupant was found to have escaped unharmed after tea lights in her bedroom set light to bedding.

The fire quickly spread throughout the room and caused severe smoke damage to the rest of the property.

Occupants from other flats in the block had to be evacuated due to smoke in the area.

Crews spent two hours at the scene.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We’re getting to that time of year where people start lighting candles, and the message about how dangerous they can be doesn’t seem to be getting through.”