Tributes to ‘wonderful’ man killed on M6

Faizel Vohra
Faizel Vohra
Share this article
Have your say

Tributes have been paid to a newlywed who was killed walking on the motorway.

Faizel Vohra, from Watling Street Road, Fulwood, Preston, died on Tuesday evening after being hit by several vehicles on the northbound carriageway of the M6 between junctions 28 at Leyland and 29 at Preston South.

He was well-known in the Preston area, having taken part in community events, including a Muslim-led feed the homeless event in August, to mark the end of Ramadan.

Faith educator Ali Amla worked with Mr Vohra on the project. He said: “He was a well-known and well-liked lad, nobody had a bad word to say about him.

“I don’t think this has sunk in for a lot of people, it’s come as a heartbreaking, terrible shock that nobody expected.”

Mr Vohra, who was in his late 20s, and married within the last few months, was a past pupil of Archbishop Temple School, Preston College and Lancaster University, where he gained a degree in English Language and the Media.

After leaving university, he worked as an account manager in public relations, and in November 2012, he was featured in PR Week magazine as one of ‘29 under 29’, a competition to find the best young talent in the UK PR industry. In the article he was described as “living and breathing PR”.

In June 2011, he joined Leyland-based MTJ Associates, working on trade and consumer PR.

Company director Martin Jackson said everyone was “deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic incident”.

He said: ‘Faizel was a wonderful person, a true PR professional always willing to help people around him, in or out of work.

“We extend our heartfelt condolences and sympathy to Faizel’s family. He will be sorely missed by everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him and it was a privilege to work alongside him.”

He also ran an online blog featuring new innovations in the food industry, and mentored students at Lancaster University.

The incident took place around 6pm on Tuesday, and Mr Vohra was pronounced dead at the scene. The motorway was shut between junctions 28 and 29 for several hours for scene investigation to be carried out.

Police are still working to understand the circumstances leading up to his death, and are appealing for any witnesses to come forward. Call 101.