Diversions are in place on the M6 southbound as Highways fears the motorway could remain shut until at least 4pm.
The M6 is currently closed southbound between J32 and J31A after a lorry carrying plant machinery overturned this morning, causing significant damage and spillages of fuel.
Due to the location of the incident the M55 eastbound link to the M6 south is also closed traffic intending to travel on the M6 south must use the diversion route detailed below exiting at M55 J1 for Preston.
There are severe delays on the M6 southbound approaching J32 with journeys being delayed by at least 60 minutes above usual journey times.
Highways said congestion spans 6 miles with average speeds of 5 mph.
Diversions are signed by the solid square diversion symbol.
READ MORE: All M6 southbound lanes closed after lorry carrying excavator jackknives in Preston
The diversions are as follows:
- Exit M6 J32, Blackpool, onto M55. Exit M55 J1. Broughton, take first roundabout exit, A6 Preston.
- At the A6/A5085 junction turn left (M6
- Follow the A5085 to the A59 roundabout.
- Take the first exit and follow the A59 to M6 J31, Tickle Trout.
- At the first roundabout take the second exit,
M6 South, Birmingham.
- At the second roundabout take the second exit to rejoin the M6 southbound.
For traffic approaching the delays locally, you are advised to expect disruption with extra journey time and you may wish to re-route or delay your journey.
If travelling towards this area from much farther afield, delay information will remain visible on our on-road variable message signs until delays have cleared.