Penwortham man finds gas pipe on fire in his kitchen

A quick-thinking homeowner shut off his gas supply after discovering the pipe connecting his cooker was alight.

Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 6:33 pm
Updated Tuesday, 8th January 2019, 5:00 pm
The homeowner managed to isolate the gas supply

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and rescue Service said crews from Penwortham and Preston attended a kitchen fire on Howick Drive, Penwortham at around 5.30pm this evening. They say the possible cause was a loose connection to a gas hob.

Crew manager Peter Blamire said: "The owner of the property had been cooking and he identified flames below the gas hob. He removed the cooker which was directly below the hob and discovered that the gas pipe connection to the hob was alight.

"He immediately isolated the gas and the fire extinguished.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"Fire crews removed the hob as a precaution to ensure that there was no fire spread."

Fire and heat damage was caused to the wooden work surface and the hob. Crews also fitted a smoke alarm.

Crew manager Blamire added: "Residents wishing to receive a Home Fire Safety Check can call 08001691125 and we will ascertain if you need a personnel visit from our fire crews or our fire safety practitioners.

"Residents are advised to check that their smoke alarms are working properly at least once per week."