Two crews attended Hutton Grammar School on Liverpool Road at around 11.20am on July 26 after a member of staff alerted emergency services.
Firefighters arrived to find the fire had already been extinguished when they arrived although smoke was still present.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "The fire is believed to have been started accidentally and may have been caused by electrical equipment.
"Paramedics gave precautionary checks to three people."
Video shows man in van wielding weapon in Preston city centre fight
Thunderstorms and heavy downpours of rain predicted to hit Lancashire as Met Office issues yellow weather warning
Dramatic reduction in speed limit on major route into Preston through South Ribble
Ribbleton man Karl Bruney arrested by Lancashire Police after firearms incident in Preston
Lancashire Police investigate after man found critically injured outside Preston’s Harris Museum
Damage to the school is believed to be minimal.
Ambulance services confirmed three adults were checked for smoke inhalation but nobody is believed to have been seriously injured.