Teenager wakes up after seven weeks on life support

A teenager who has been unconscious on life support after a motorbike crash has woken up for the first time in seven weeks.

Friday, 3rd June 2016, 9:29 am
Updated Friday, 3rd June 2016, 10:33 am
Callum Evans, 19, from Lostock hall was left on life support after a bike accident near Warrington on April 14, 2016.

The family of Callum Evans spoke of their delight at being able to speak to the 19-year-old following a collision between his bike and a car on Glazebrook Lane, Culcheth, near Warrington.

And after spending weeks on a life-support machine at Manchester’s Wythenshawe Hospital, Callum is now able to say a few words, nod his head and has even managed small amounts of food.

His grandma, Audrey Allan, said: “It’s really good news he’s awake and off the life-support machine.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Callum Evans, 19, was on life-support after his bike collided with a car near Warrington.

“He’s a lot better in himself and saying one or two words but he’s still quite weak. Most of the time he’s just nodding or shaking his head when we talk to him and did manage to eat an ice-pop as well.”

Keen biker Callum, who went to Lostock Hall Academy in Preston, was trapped under a car and had to be cut free by firefighters.

He was taken to hospital by the North West Air Ambulance and since the accident friends and family have been raising money for the charity.

Audrey said: “The air ambulance lifted Callum to safety and to hospital and so we wanted to raise money for them. So far we raised more than £1,000 and in an ideal world, when Callum gets out of hospital, he will go and present the cheque to the charity. But at the moment we’re just hoping his condition keeps improving.”

Callum Evans, 19, was on life-support after his bike collided with a car near Warrington.

To donate to the services that helped save Callum, go to www.justgiving.com and search for Karen Wikholm.