Students escape kitchen fire in Preston

Engines from Preston were called out to the unfolding emergency on Eldon Street at around 1.40 am on November 15.
Engines from Preston were called out to the unfolding emergency on Eldon Street at around 1.40 am on November 15.
Share this article

Two students escaped from a kitchen fire that started in a flat in Preston, say fire services.

Engines from Preston were called out to the unfolding emergency on Eldon Street at around 1.40 am on November 15.

Crews arrived to find the students outside the property with their kitchen worktop on fire.

Watch Manager Mark Woodward said: "Two fire engines from Preston attended a fire after occupants of a flat smelt smoke.

"They had been up watching TV at the time when an electrical fault from wiring ignited a wooden work surface.

"They hadn't been cooking.

"They got out immediately, dialled 999 and stayed out which was absolutely the right thing to do.

"We cut away the work surface that was burning and ventilated the property.

"If you have any concerns about an electrical appliance, for example, if it is making a funny noise or issuing smoke, please ask a qualified electrician to check it out."

Nobody was injured during the incident.