Stove-type fire caused house blaze

editorial image
Have your say

A cottage was badly damaged when a fire broke out this afternoon.

A passerby raised the alarm when they saw smoke coming from the house on Fleetwood Road, in Medlar with Wesham, at 1.35pm.

They opened the door and a dog ran out of the house.

Smoke was going across the road and onto the M55 motorway junction when fire crews from South Shore and Wesham arrived.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside to tackle the blaze in the living room.

It was caused by an open log-burning stove-type fire, with a door that had been left open.

There was no-one in the house at the time as the occupier had gone out around an hour earlier.

There was fire damage to the living room, as well as severe smoke damage to the rest of the property.

Firefighters also cleared smoke from a neighbouring property.