Police and fire crews attacked by gang of brick-throwing thugs in Preston

A fire engine has had its windscreen smashed by thugs who hurled bricks at fire crews and police in Preston.

Monday, 22nd June 2020, 11:29 am
Updated Monday, 22nd June 2020, 2:10 pm

The fire engine has had to be taken out of service to undergo £600 worth of repairs after the assault in Tag Lane, Ingol at around midnight (June 21).

The Preston fire crew had been returning from an emergency incident when they were ambushed by a group of people throwing 'missiles' at them.

Lancashire Police said it its officers had also been attacked whilst responding to calls in the same area, with heavy objects thrown at police cars.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Preston fire station tweeted: "Last night one of Preston fire engines was damaged through deliberate missile throwing from a group of people while we were returning from an incident.

"This meant one less fire engine in the area and reduced fire cover for a period.

"The consequences could have been much worse. Thankfully no one physically injured.

"Preston police also attacked."

A Preston fire engine has been damaged after it was attacked by vandals whilst returning from fighting a fire last night (June 21)

A fire service spokesman added: "Fire crews were called to respond to an incident in Ingol last night and the fire engine was attacked whilst returning from that incident.

"The incident happened at around midnight on Tag Lane, Ingol, Preston.

"The fire engine window screen has been broken and will cost approximately £600 to repair.

"There is a reserve fire engine now being used at the station whilst it is being fixed.

"There were no firefighters reporting injuries as a result of the incident."

Lancashire Police confirmed that a number of police calls had also been targeted in the attack.

A spokesman for the force said: "We received several calls to the Ingol area around midnight with missiles thrown at police cars.

"The fire service later attended the same area and a fire engine was damaged."