Nitro-cocktail bar company goes into liquidation
A company that owned a wine bar in Lancaster where a teenager drank a nitrogen cocktail and had to have her stomach removed has gone into liquidation.
Oscar’s Wine Bar Limited was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after Gaby Scanlon from Heysham drank a near lethal Nitro-jagermeister cocktail during her 18th birthday celebrations and had to have life-saving surgery.
Liquidator Begbies Traynor confirmed that Oscar’s Wine Bar Limited owed 703,714 to creditors, of which fines and legal costs of 123,120 add to the debt.
In September 2015, at Lancaster Magistrates Court, the wine bar admitted it failed to ensure the shot cocktail was safe for consumption and was fined £100,000.
The company claims to have assets of only £12,500.
When a company goes into liquidation, its assets are used to pay off creditors.
Former director of Oscar’s Wine Bar Limited, Andrew Dunn, is now director of a new company Oscar’s of Lancaster Limited, which still trades from George Street.
Staff at the Lancaster bar said their director would not be available for comment.
At the time of the hearing last September, Gaby was still suffering from “episodes of agonising pain” and said the incident had a devastating impact on her health, facing a life on vitamin supplements and liquid replacement meals.
In mitigation, the court heard that Mr Dunn was “mortified” and apologised to Gaby and her family for the “errors and misjudgments that were made”.