Mum pays tribute after girl aged 17 dies suddenly at their Preston home

Shannon Hodosi
Shannon Hodosi
Share this article
0
Have your say

A teenage girl has died after falling ill at a house in Preston.

Shannon Hodosi, 17, had been recovering at home from a stomach bug, but died suddenly on Sunday afternoon.

Her mum Michelle believed her daughter had been getting better but she collapsed in the bathroom at the weekend and was unable to be saved.

Paramedics fought to help the former Ashton Science College pupil but she died at the scene.

Shannon’s devastated mum Michelle, 42, said: “On Sunday she went to get herself ready for a bath.

“The first five minutes I was talking to her, then she went quiet.

“When I went up to get her she was sitting up, not breathing, against the bath.”

Michelle, who said Shannon had moved back home after becoming ill in the past few weeks, added that a post mortem would be carried out this week to establish the cause of death, but said she had been struggling with her breathing.

She said her daughter, who wanted to go into child care, had had problems since leaving school but thought she was getting back on track. She added: “She was brilliant, she was a brilliant daughter.

“She had her ups and downs but she was brilliant.

“She could liven a room up in a few seconds with her bubbly personality.

“She was really close with all the family.

“At the moment I’m in shock. When I went up to the hospital with the body I sat with her for six hours and just cried and cried.

“They tried for 40 minutes putting breathing tubes in but she just had no fight left in her.

“It all started with the sickness and diarrhoea bug and just went on from there until she just deteriorated.”

Emergency services were called to Michelle’s home in Thurnham Road, Ashton, at 1.15pm on Sunday.

Shannon was pronounced dead at the address, and a report has been passed to the coroner.

Neighbour Patricia Dunkley described Shannon’s death as a “tragedy”.

She said: “She was such a lovely, lovely girl.”