MP takes up sentence call

Reece Roberts at the Royal Preston Hospital with his mum Millissa Roberts
Reece Roberts at the Royal Preston Hospital with his mum Millissa Roberts
Share this article
Have your say

A Blackpool MP today pledged to join a devastated mother’s fight to keep her son’s attacker in jail for longer.

Thomas Field was sentenced to 20 months in prison for ?attacking Reece Roberts outside Bar 19, on Queen Street, in September.

Mr Roberts, 25, suffered serious head injuries in the ?attack, and has spent the months since the incident receiving treatment on specialist wards in Royal Preston Hospital.

After the sentencing in April, the family said the attack had “ruined their lives” and called for a longer ?sentence.

Mum Milissa Roberts, of Lakeway, Layton, has since written to Paul Maynard, MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys, and he has agreed to help by contacting the Attorney General, the Government’s legal officer.

He said: “I will be more than happy to look at her case and write to the Attorney General.

“There are cases where he can look again at the sentence.

“Sometimes they do (get altered) and sometimes they don’t, but if we don’t ask won’t be able to find out.

“It sounds like a terrible sequence of events and I sympathise with the family, and they must be very frustrated at the sentence.”

Field, 27, from Levenshulme, Manchester, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm at Preston Crown Court, but Miss Roberts believes it’s too short when his 16 previous offences are taken into account.

She said: “I feel helpless and don’t know what to do.

“When I look at Reece I think he is going to through this for the rest of his life, but Thomas Field will be out in a few months.

“It hasn’t given me any closure after what has happened, and I haven’t told Reece about the sentence because I don’t want to put him through that.

“It would make me feel better if he was given a longer sentence because I felt like it was taking the Mickey.

“He is going to be out soon and that’s it.”

Mr Roberts had part of his skull removed to relieve massive pressure on his brain, and he has had metal plates put in to replace the missing bone.

He is still receiving intensive treatment in hospital and is on a ventilator to help him breathe, but is able to whisper to communicate with his family.