Morecambe hairdresser sobs as 999 call played at murder trial

A court has heard a harrowing 999 call made by a woman accused of murdering her lover in a caravan in Morecambe.

Tuesday, 16th February 2016, 2:33 pm
Updated Tuesday, 16th February 2016, 4:00 pm
Preston Crown Court. PIC BY ROB LOCK

Terri-Marie Palmer, 22, sobbed in the dock as her panicked call to the emergency services was played to the jury.

Palmer told the 999 operator her boyfriend Damon Searson, 24, had stabbed himself in the chest with the carving knife when they were “messing around” in the caravan they shared at Stud Farm Caravan Park, Oxcliffe Road, Morecambe.

She said: “It’s a carving knife. We literally only got it today. It’s really f***ing sharp.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Searson died from a deep stab wound which penetrated his heart.

Palmer, of Warton Avenue, Heysham, later told officers she had thrown the knife to her boyfriend and it had accidentally stabbed him in the chest.

The hairdresser, who had set up home with Mr Searson just weeks before, screamed as she begged the operator to send help for her boyfriend who was bleeding and drifting in and out of consciousness on the floor of the caravan.

Palmer followed the operator’s instructions and used a duvet to apply pressure to the wound while emergency services made their way to the caravan.

Mr Searson was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where he was pronounced dead at 1.28am.

Describing the couple’s relationship, a mutual friend said: “They loved each other. I know that much. When they were together it was good but when he went missing, that caused arguments between them.”

The man said he and Mr Searson had shared a room at a rehab unit in Lancaster and had met Palmer when they went to get their haircut at the Costa Del Sol, where Palmer worked.

He said: “Terri spent most of her time working to get somewhere to live because Damon didn’t have a job.

“She tried her best with Damo. She’d give him money and he’d go missing.”

On the night Mr Searson died, Palmer had been complaining about her boyfriend’s behaviour on social media.

She denies murder at Preston Crown Court.