Mobile mast plan debate

Coun Cartwright
Coun Cartwright
0
Have your say

Planners believe two mobile phone masts should be put up in residential areas of Preston, despite objections from neighbours and a school.

Vodafone (UK) Ltd and Telefonica O2 (UK) want permission for masts in Fulwood and Ribbleton.

And officers at Preston Council have recommended the plans for approval, saying the objections “do not raise issues that would justify the refusal of planning permission”.

Members of the council’s planning committee will meet on Monday to discuss the applications which include a 12.5m high mast in St Vincents Road, close to the junction of Sharoe Green Lane in Fulwood. Coun Bobby Cartwright, who represents the College ward, said she was concerned about the “height and visual impact”.

There have also been 16 letters of objection from neighbours, Martin Callagher, headteacher of Corpus Christi Catholic Sports College, and County Coun Frank De Molfetta, concerned about it being “an eyesore”.

Meanwhile, the same companies want to put a similar mast on the footpath at the junction of Village Drive and Miller Road in Ribbleton.

Coun Nick Pomfret, who represents the area, said he was concerned about the “impact on neighbours and visual impact to the area” and one other neighbour has objected.

A previous application for a 15m mast in Pope Lane was rejected in March last year due to its height, scale and dominance.

An inspector also dismissed an appeal.

However council planners said the smaller mast “would not appear intrusive or dominant”.

Other sites have been considered but the applicant said they were all unsuitable or the owner’s consent would prevent development.