A family had a “lucky escape” after a Chinese lantern landed in their garden and destroyed play equipment.
A neighbour saw smoke coming from a children’s trampoline at the rear of a house in Thistlecroft, Ingol, at 2.30am on Sunday and dialled 999.
By the time firefighters arrived, the play equipment had been destroyed.
Preston Watch Manager Mark Woodward said: “The trampoline was very near the kitchen and the family were very lucky that the flames didn’t spread. They’ve had a lucky escape.
“These types of incidents are quite rare, but when they do happen they can have serious consequences.”
The Chief Fire Officers Association has warned against the use of Chinese lanterns because of fire risk, and the National Farmers Union is calling for an outright ban.