Violence in Lancaster after Morecambe v Blackpool football match

editorial image

A mum described how she watched in horror as chanting football fans charged at her son outside a Lancaster pub after Saturday’s first league clash between Morecambe and Blackpool.

Michelle – who did not wish us to use her surname – said she felt “powerless” as she witnessed her son, who was working as a doorman outside the Crafty Scholar pub, disappear into a sea of rowdy fans on Saturday August 13.

The scenes of violence, who eyewitnesses said were Blackpool fans, came after the Shrimps 2-1 win against Blackpool at the Globe Arena.

Michelle said that with a broken nose and a bloodied shirt, from an earlier incident of violence, her son tried his best to beat off a group of men – many old enough to be grandfathers.

Michelle, from Lancaster, said: “We had only been in the Study Rooms for five minutes when we heard this chanting, when we looked out the window there was a group of men, aged between 30 and 50 years old, coming from the top of the street and these weren’t kids, they were dads, grandads.”

The men marched down Church Street shortly after 7pm, heading towards the pub.

When they were denied entry by the doormen chaos erupted, said Michelle.

“The whole lot of them charged the Crafty Scholar, throwing fists and punches. They were all chanting about Owen Oyston,” she said.

“Police appeared out of nowhere, pushing them all back down the street. They weren’t giving in though, they were up for a fight.

“I have never seen anything quite as bad as this in all my life.

“I was powerless, my heart was in my mouth, it was quite hard to sit and watch these men charge at my son.

“There was about eight to nine men targeting one doorman. It was quite scary to see, I was quite intimidated and it takes a lot for me to feel like that.

“I can’t work out why adults or anybody would want to behave like that.

“Police and door staff worked together, they pushed them all back towards Bella Italia, police were trying to get them to go home, it seemed to disperse after this.”

Michelle’s son has been working as a doorman for five years. The 50-year-old spoke to her son shortly after the incident and said it was one of the worst events her son has had to deal with.

She said: “There was quite a lot of people in the street, families out for tea so it was scary for everyone.

“I am just disgusted.”

A Crafty Scholar spokesman said: “There were crowds of supporters on the street who were politely refused entry by our door staff, and dispersed with the support of the police. These fans were prevented entry from the Crafty Scholar.”