Bridge flood continues after rain

Euxton Lane pictured on Sunday afternoon
Euxton Lane pictured on Sunday afternoon
Have your say

A busy road closed for more than a fortnight has flooded again - just as people were hoping it would reopen.

Work to drain some 10ft of water on the road at a rail bridge in Euxton, near Chorley, had been expected to be completed on Monday.

But Euxton Lane was covered with water again today after rain at the weekend.

Euxton parish councillor Aidy Riggott said the water was “quite a bit higher” than on Saturday and seemed to be bubbling in places.

He said: “A lot of people will have seen it on Saturday and thought it was nearly clear and now it will be days again.”

The road had been under a flood – the entire width of the highway and about 50 yards long – since Boxing Day.

The bridge carries the West Coast Main Line and is the responsibility of Network Rail.

They put in a pump in 2011 to prevent flooding following significant rainfall and to allow the road to be kept open.

But the pump stopped functioning during the storm and Lancashire County Council put a diversion in place to redirect traffic until it was fixed.

Network Rail brought in a temporary pump to clear the water on Tuesday and a spokesman had said they were hoping to have the last foot of water cleared before Monday.

The road would then be cleaned, handed back to Lancashire County Council and reopened.

The saga fascinated sightseers and became something of a tourist attraction.

Folk flocked to see the flood and video of a jet skier on the water went viral.

A canoe even took to the water, while others had fun pretending to fish there and held up fish they had caught.

It even sparked a mystery, with rumours rife that at least one vehicle – and possibly three – were lying at the bottom of the flood water.

Divers went down twice and found nothing.

Scuba diving instructor Phil Lake, 39, who runs the Scuba Diving North West club, based in Brinscall, near Chorley, said the club was brought in by recovery team Fylde Motor Company, who work for the British Transport Police and the AA. After two dives, they called it a day.

Mr Lake said on Friday: “There’s nothing down there. So whatever it apparently was seems to be an urban myth.”