Blazing baguettes spark 999 call out

The University of Central Lancashire in Preston
The University of Central Lancashire in Preston
Have your say

Firefighters have issued a toast warning to university students in Preston.

They are hoping lessons can be learned from a blaze which broke out in off-campus flats on Friday where residents put French bread in an electric toaster.

“If you are going to use that sort of bread then do it under the grill, not in a toaster,” said watch manager Caroline Sturgess after the drama in an accommodation block in Oxheys Street.

“It can so easily catch fire. Fortunately no-one was hurt, but it could have been worse.”

The fire had already been extinguished before the fire crew arrived. But one female had to be given oxygen following the incident.

“It wasn’t due to smoke inhalation, it was just shock,” said watch manager Sturgess.

“She was a bit tight-chested and she had a precautionary check-up by paramedics. Our advice in such an incident is to get yourselves out and call 999. “The students here used an extinguisher and got out. They did everything right – apart from their choice of bread!”