Lancaster University fire caused by cheese on toast mishap

WEB ONLY. Image does not crop into c3 nib spots.

Fire engine. (S)
WEB ONLY. Image does not crop into c3 nib spots. Fire engine. (S)
Share this article
0
Have your say

Cheese on toast being made in an ordinary toaster set on fire at a student accommodation block.

Fire crews from Lancaster were called out at 4.13pm on April 19 to Lancaster University to reports of a fire.

When they arrived they found that the fire had been started by an electric toaster (standard top load design) that had been turned onto its side to allows the user to make cheese on toast.

This type of toaster is not designed to be used in this manner.

Firefighter used a dry powder fire extinguisher and a ventilation unit to remove the smoke.

The misuse resulted in a fire within the toaster rendering it unrepairable, heat damage to the kitchen worktop and smoke damage to the kitchen.

It should be noted that this type of misuse of electrical appliances can easily result in a serious fire situation.

Green Watch crew manager John Holmes said: “Care should be taken that appliances, whether they are gas or electric, are only used as they are intended and designed.”