Jilted lover slashed girl’s neck to ‘teach her a lesson’

Terrified: Robyn Clegg-Gibson
Terrified: Robyn Clegg-Gibson
Share this article
Have your say

A dumped student slashed and “sawed’’ his girlfriend’s neck with a kitchen knife to ‘’leave a mark on her’’ for ending their relationship, a court heard.

Preston Crown Court heard jilted Gary Davies, 25, locked Robyn Clegg-Gibson, 19, in her bedroom before climbing on top of her and hacking a 7cm cut across her throat to “teach her a lesson’’ for finishing with him.

Davies, who had been dating Robyn for two months, attacked the teenager in September 2013 after she ended the relationship.

Jurors heard Davies told police after he was arrested he wanted to “leave a mark on her” to punish her for breaking up with him. Davies has pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and false imprisonment but denies attempted murder at Preston Crown Court.

Mr Paul Cummings, prosecuting, told the court that, on the night of the attack, the pair had argued about attending a party for fresher’s week at Lancaster University, where they both studied.

Mr Cummings said: “She had been invited to a number of events for fresher’s week and wanted to make new friends on her course. This was a trivial matter in itself but resulted in an argument which then resulted in the assault. After arriving back at the student accommodation, he didn’t want to go home.

“He went into the address for five minutes, then left after she said that she no longer wanted to be in a relationship with him.

“Ten minutes later, he came back to the house and said he had misplaced his keys She let him back into the house to look for them. They were in her bedroom and she began to feel uncomfortable. She asked him to leave, but he refused so she phoned the police.”

During the trial, the jury heard that during the telephone call to the police, Davies went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

Mr Cummings said: “He walked back into her bedroom with the knife in his pocket and she told him the police were on their way. He locked the bedroom door behind him and produced the knife from his pocket.

“She started to cry and asked him what he was doing.

“He told her to ring the police and tell them not to come to the address.

“She phoned them back and told them what he was telling her to say but her friends were outside her door and asked if she was okay. She screamed she was but she was terrified.”

A few minutes later, a police officer arrived outside and asked Davies to open the door

Mr Cummings added: “He pointed the knife towards her chest and grabbed her shoulder. He climbed on top of her and started to saw at her neck. She had her hand up and was trying to stop him.

“She was curled up in a ball on the floor bleeding and could feel the knife on her throat.”

Davies, who was also in his first year at university, but lived in different student accommodation, was stopped when the police officer kicked down the door.

His victim suffered a 7cm cut across her neck. She also suffered two other cuts to her neck, and a wound 3cm long to her shoulder.

After his arrest, Davies told the police he had wanted to “teach her a lesson”.

Mr Cummings said: “He deliberately went to select a knife knowing the police had been contacted.

“He knew the relationship was at an end and he hadn’t been deterred by other students standing outside the room. He was determined he was going to kill her and he used the knife violently and deliberately to her neck.

“He couldn’t have known the force necessary to just leave a mark to her body.”


For all the latest news and events you can also find us on Twitter, or download our Tablet apps.