A father-of-four suffering from mesothelioma is appealing to his former work mates to help in his asbestos investigation.
Robert Burns, from Whitestake, near Preston, was diagnosed with the disease in August last year.
The condition is a cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to asbestos dust and fibres.
The 76-year-old believes that he was exposed to asbestos during his time working as a mechanic for St Helens Council at the Hardshaw Brook Garage during the 1970s and between 1990-2003.
The retired mechanic is now appealing for his former colleagues to come forward with information about the working conditions at the garage and his exposure to asbestos.
Robert, said: “I have always been healthy and independent, but since my diagnosis I have come to rely on my grandson Wesley and I’m unable to do a lot of the things I used to.
“My health has deteriorated so much that we are looking to rent a bungalow, so I do not have to tackle the stairs any longer, as the effort leaves me out of breath.
“I was completely shocked to be diagnosed with mesothelioma earlier this year and angry to find out the disease has been caused by my exposure to asbestos during my working life.
“I feel very concerned about the future and worry that I will not be able to do all the things I wanted to do with my family.
“I hope that my former workmates at St Helens Metropolitan Borough Council will come forward with the information my legal team at Irwin Mitchell needs.”
Anyone who thinks they may be able to help is asked to contact Katrina London at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors on 0161 838 7262 or alternatively, email Katrina.London@irwinmitchell.com.