Top wrestler Adrian “Lionheart” McCallum is to step back into the ring with the man he was facing when he broke his neck.
The iron man, who was seriously injured in a bout last year against AJ Styles, said he was expecting animosity in June’s grudge match.
His unrepentant rival said he didn’t intend to hurt Lionheart but said “if that is the end result, so be it”.
The 32-year-old spent time recuperating at home in Scotland, and is now ready to take on the American again.
Lionheart said he remembered the events of the fateful match clearly.
He said: “I remember it very well. I was right at the end of the show, it was pretty much the last thing to happen of the entire weekend and he was going to be doing his finishing move on me.
“I moved my head in the wrong direction from what I should have done to land safely.
“I came down, I tucked my chin towards my chest and landed on the back of my head with his body weight on top of me.”
He said he didn’t blame his opponent for what happened, and said: “Physically, I’m as well and as strong as I’m going to be for having broken my neck a year ago.
“I’m not as perfect or strong as I was before but I’m good enough and as long as I’m careful I should be ok.
I remember it very well. I was right at the end of the show, it was pretty much the last thing to happen of the entire weekend and he was going to be doing his finishing move on me.Lionheart
“I think it’s going to be a very interesting atmosphere, it’s at the same place with the same people, I imagine it will be quite an emotionally charged atmosphere.”
He described the forthcoming fight on June 5 as “more than just a match between two wrestlers”, and said he was more nervous about it than others.
He added: “There’s going to be a lot of personal animosity, there’s a lot of pride and ego on the line.
“For me the most important thing is just closure.
“It’s had a massive effect on my professional and personal life.
“The match is about getting it done and getting it out of my system and closing that chapter of my life.”
The show, at Evoque nightclub, sold out within hours of being announced.
AJ Styles said: “I am looking forward to my rematch with Lionheart for Preston City Wrestling on June 5.
“Last time Lionheart and I wrestled, he won the match. This time will be different.
“I intend to win this match and will not hesitate to use any weapon in my wrestling arsenal, including the Styles Clash, to do so. I do not go into this match intending to injure Lionheart in the process, nor was that my intent the last time, but if that is the end result, so be it.
“This is professional wrestling and it comes with risks we all understand and accept.
“The question really is whether Lionheart can bring his A game, as to beat AJ Styles, the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, he must.
“The bigger question will be, is that going to be enough? I don’t think so.”