Grief-stricken man takes life

A LABOURER who had been upset about the deaths of members of his family tragically took his own life, an inquest heard.

Martin Roy Weyer was found dead in the living room of his flat in River Parade, Broadgate, Preston, on September 15.

The 40-year-old had taken an overdose of painkiller and anti-depressant tablets.

Close neighbour Kevin Burrell, who had been at a party at Mr Weyer’s home the night before his death, told Preston Coroner’s Court how he had seemed “a bit down” and had talked about the anniversary of his sister’s and uncle’s death, but had seemed happy in the morning as Mr Burrell left to go to work.

Mr Weyer’s partner Helen Burk told how he would have down days. She told the court: “Sometimes he would say he wanted to be with his dad and his sisters.

“Sometimes he was alright. He would have off days like on a downer, a bit depressed.”

The couple had had an argument the night before his death but they had talked it through and made up and he had seemed fine.

Miss Burk found Mr Weyer lying on the floor at around 9am and called neighbours for help. They called an ambulance when they could not find a pulse.

PC Neil Greenhalgh, who attended the flat, recalled how he saw empty strips of tablets on the floor and a brown envelope bearing the message “gone (to where I can try again)”.

Consultant pathologist Dr Caroline Nicholson, who carried out the postmortem examination, said the cause of death was an overdose of the painkiller di-hydrocodeine and the anti-depressant dothiepin. Alcohol was also present although that did not contribute to the death.

Assistant deputy coroner for Preston and West Lancashire, Carolyn Singleton, said: “The evidence I have heard today of a gentleman who was clearly distressed at the thought of the death of his sisters and his uncle.

“Indeed he had expressed a desire at one stage to actually be with his sisters and his father who is also deceased.”

She recorded a verdict that Mr Weyer killed herself.