A young girl has suffered horrific burn injuries after her dress caught fire in a freak accident.
The 11-year-old girl was playing in front of a gas fire at a relative’s home in Castle Street, Brierfield, when the terrible accident occurred.
She was airlifted to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool where she remains in a stable condition in intensive care.
A police spokesman said: “We were contacted shortly after 4pm on Monday, April 18th, by the ambulance service to a report that an 11-year-old girl had suffered burns at an address in Castle Street, Brierfield.
“The girl was taken by air ambulance to Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool suffering from burns described as life changing.
“She has undergone surgery and remains in a stable condition in the intensive care unit.
“An investigation into the circumstances is underway but at this stage it would appear that the girl’s dress had been ignited by flames from a gas fire inside the address.”