Girl’s electric blanket sets light to bed

Seven year-old Kate Wall was burnt on her foot when the electric blanket on her bed set on fire
Seven year-old Kate Wall was burnt on her foot when the electric blanket on her bed set on fire
Share this article
0
Have your say

A schoolgirl narrowly escaped horrific burns after her electric blanket caught fire as she slept.

Seven-year-old Kate Wall and her family had to flee their home after a fire broke out in her bedroom.

We saw the bed was smoking and I said, ‘Grab the animals and get out and ring the fire brigade.

Sara Wall

Fire crews called to the Walton-le-Dale house said the youngster was fortunate to avoid serious injury. Kate’s mum Sara, 38, said: “We are just so lucky that she’s not badly hurt and we’ve still got her with us.

“If she hadn’t woken up, we would have lost her.”

Two fire engines went to their Hennel Lane home after the fire broke out at about 7.20am on Tuesday.

Sara said: “My husband said ‘I can smell pancakes’.

“My son is a keen cook and I said there’s no way he would have gone down and made pancakes, it smells like crumpets.

“I suddenly heard my daughter crying.

“I sat bolt upright in bed and she said, ‘The bed has hurt my foot’.

“The burn woke her up – it’s very lucky she got burnt straight away.

“We saw the bed was smoking and I said, ‘Grab the animals and get out and ring the fire brigade.’

“Her bed and mattress went up and there’s smoke damage.

“She was exceptionally lucky; it’s a good job she woke up.

“The smoke was getting thicker and thicker through the window.”

Kate’s dad Brad, who saved the family’s two cats, two rabbits and also their hedgehog Truffles, had helped rescue neighbour Tracey Baron following a major fire back in 2013.

He helped make sure she was safely out of the house and went back in to try to stop the blaze, but it had already spread to the curtains.

Sara said: “We’ve been very lucky – we still have a house.”

She said Kate had been upset by what had happened, and the youngster said it was “scary”.

Brad said the electric blanket on Kate’s mattress had been switched off before she went to bed, but said she may have knocked the button back on.

Firefighter Peter Jones, from Bamber Bridge fire station, said: “The bedroom was heavily smoke logged.

“We sent crews with breathing apparatus who dealt with the fire, and used positive pressure ventilation fans.

“When we got there it was still smouldering and there was a lot of smoke.

“She’s very lucky, if she had been asleep it would have been a different story.

“The message I would like to send out is please make sure it is the correct blanket – is it one you can leave on all night or do you have to turn it off before bed?

“Because it could be life or death.”