Fight goes on to save A&E as march is being planned
Children have joined the campaign calling for Chorley And South Ribble Hospital's A&E department to be reopened.
Youngsters made placards and T-shirts on Saturday morning during a session at Galloway’s Society For The Blind in Chorley.
They then went to the hospital to join 300 people in a protest calling for the unit to be reopened.
Demonstrations have been held every Saturday outside the hospital since the A&E unit shut, with bosses blaming staffing problems.
It was replaced with an urgent care centre, which cannot treat serious or life-threatening conditions.
The Protect Chorley Hospital Against Cuts And Privatisation group has also now set a date for a protest march through the town.
It will take place on Saturday, June 11, with the details to be confirmed.
Another demonstration will be held this Saturday morning outside the hospital. Children will be making a banner at 8.45am at Galloway’s.
Chorley MP Lindsay Hoyle and South Ribble MP Seema Kennedy met Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt last week to talk about the hospital.
They explained what had happened and he said he would speak to NHS England and NHS Improvement.
Mr Hoyle said: “He certainly listened, he certainly understood our concerns. I explained that management has to do better.
“He told us to keep in touch which we will be doing. He did recognise the strength of feeling.”
More than 18,400 people have now signed a petition online calling for the A&E unit to be reopened.
Lancashire County Council’s health scrutiny committee will hold a special all-day meeting on Tuesday, May 24 to look at the situation in more detail.
They will focus on recruitment and will ask representatives from the British Medical Association, NHS Improvement and others to attend.