At 92 she was showing her age . . . just like her big sister next door.
But Preston’s Fish Market has had a £385,000 facelift and the years have just dropped off her.
The refurbished canopy has been unveiled by the city council as the first phase in an ambitious project to regenerate the Markets Quarter.
New Mayor Coun John Collins cut the tape in a ceremony to officially re-open the ornate steel and cast iron structure.
Now workmen from contractors FPE Site Operations will move on to the larger 1875 canopy across the road which will take around six months and cost £680,000 to renovate.
The grand re-opening of the Fish Market was an important milestone in the redevelopment of Preston city centre.
The Markets Quarter forms part of a wider scheme to revitalise key areas including Fishergate, the Bus Station, Winckley Square and the Guild Hall.
The ceremony came as a planning application to build a new indoor market hall under the larger of the two canopies was under consideration by the council.
The new building, which will be free-standing, glazed and timber-clad, will replace the existing market hall which is to be demolished along with its multi-storey car park to make way for a huge entertainment complex with restaurants and a cinema.
The plans are intended to provide a multi-million pound transformation for the whole Markets Quarter.
The Fish Market was built in 1924, although a market had operated on that site for decades before.
In 1901 there were as many as 56 fishmongers in Preston, along with seven fish salesmen, five oyster dealers, three fish curers and 129 fish and chip shops.