Elderly fire escape couple praised

editorial image
Have your say

An elderly couple have been praised by a fire chief for safely escaping their burning home today.

The husband and wife, who were in their 80s, got out of the house on Spendmore Lane, Coppull, unharmed when a blaze broke out in a utility room at the rear of the property.

Two fire appliances from Chorley and Horwich attended the incident after receiving the emergency call just before 8.20am.

Watch manager Joe Joseph, from Chorley fire station, said: “It was an accidental cause. An elderly gentleman and his wife were able to evacuate.

“The formulated a really good fire plan and managed to get themselves out. Their smoke alarms alerted them.

“They were upstairs, the gentleman saw smoke coming out of the back. They stuck to a plan and didn’t even look and got out.

“By the time he got out he could barely see for the smoke.

“He’s done exactly the right thing and looked after himself and his wife.”

The room was destroyed and the rest of the property suffered various levels of smoke damage, said Mr Joseph, who added: “The couple were uninjured. They were in their eighties They had a precautionary check from the ambulance service.

“As prepared as they were it could have been a tragedy.”